Forum home Fruit & veg

Enviromesh - what size?

EmerionEmerion Posts: 158
Hello,
I’m thinking of getting some enviromesh. As it’s not cheap I want to get the best width for veg plots 4’ x 14’. I already have a big bird net, plenty scaffold netting (Mainly used as a cheap windbreak), and some horticultural fleece. At the moment, I’m chiefly thinking about carrot root fly, so I wouldn’t need a very wide piece for that. But whilst I’m investing, are there any other uses for which only enviromesh will do, and which require more height, and therefore width of mesh? What do you use it for?

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,130
    I found it very stiff and difficult to work with, in the end we made up a frame to fit over my 4 x 4 veg bed and stapled it on. This then sat over the purple sprouting broccoli for the next 6 months.
    Left it behind when we moved but the house is up for sale and it's still there!
    The rest I sold on eBay 
  • EmerionEmerion Posts: 158
    Maybe not then. Thanks for that.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,130
    Ah but  I'm not interested in veg growing I'm sure you would find more uses than I would.
    Mind you I wish I had kept some as I thought about using it around plants in the hopes of getting on top of my vine weevil problem. Thought it might stop the eggs from getting down into the soil.
  • PlashingPlashing Posts: 204
    Have a look on www.gardening-naturally.com they have all sorts of Enviromesh also they could help you with what size you want.
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 301
    Last year on Gardeners World Frances Tophill made a frame and covered it with Enviromesh, this can then be placed where required. 
  • EmerionEmerion Posts: 158
    Plashing said:
    Have a look on www.gardening-naturally.com they have all sorts of Enviromesh also they could help you with what size you want.
    i am ordering from this site, they have a good range of meshes and sizes, thanks.