Forum home Fruit & veg

Unhealthy looking plants, tomatoes, aubergines, cucumbers etc

This year a lot of my plants just don't look very healthy. They aren't growing well and look yellow and weedy. I am getting some fruit on them. Any ideas what could be wrong? I have been feeding and watering.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,266
    Could it it be the brand of compost you bought?  We’re all the pots filled with the same type?  I've had huge issues with 'cheap' compost from the GC, and learned the hard way to go for the medium priced bags.  The cheap stuff I've bought was mainly half composted shredding wood chips, which I felt probably caused nitrogen issues.  
    Utah, USA.
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 105
    I think it is the compost which is causing stunted growth of the plants. I also had the same problem; once I replanted them in different compost, they perked up.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,527
    Another possibility is spider mite which causes just those sort of effects.  See if you can see any fine webbing, particularly on the growing points.  You'll need a magnifying glass to see the actual mites themselves, if they are present.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • MozigualMozigual Posts: 8
    Thanks for your replies 👍
    I wonder if it's the compost. It wasn't cheap stuff though. 
    Can't see spider mite, just some actual spiders and cobwebs, but I'll keep an eye out it does sound like you get similar symptoms with that.

• newbie77newbie77 Posts: 220
    i had loads of plants looking like this in pots and i totally blame compost for it. anything that i planted on ground without using wickes mpc has done so well. i looked after both the same way. 

i think this year demand for compost have been so high that there is no quality check whatsoever by suppliers.