Forum home Plants

Finding the right birch tree for a tight spot ...

Hello there, I'm on the hunt for the right betula and getting a bit frustrated with inconsistencies in sizing on different web pages ...we have a narrow garden (4 metres max) and don't wish to pick one that gets bonkers tall either. Unfortunately the RHS website doesn't provide information on all the varieties I'm looking at so wondered if anyone can recommend a good alternative source for information? For any betula experts who may have some thoughts, I've been looking at: 
- Moonbeam

- Spider Alley

- Trinity College

- Daleside 

...would love something a bit more silver birch or Grayswood Ghost but suspect that these would get too big.

Our soil is pretty chalky and I've read that this can stunt the size a bit which could be a good thing ...

Any advice would be most welcome :)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,558
    I recall a property I visited some years ago and in their front garden they had a group of 3 mature birch with no more than 6ft between each of them. I can't remember the variety but it had an almost brilliant white bark.
    They had been planted approx 20 yrs ago but were no more than about 12-15ft tall and looked stunning in winter.
    I assume (which is not always a good idea) that it was being planted so close together that kept them small.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • That sounds gorgeous Pete x
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,395
    ..perhaps Betula pendula fastigiata 'Joes' would suit you... it was highlighted on a gardeners world segment a couple of years ago..
  • StephenSouthwestStephenSouthwest Southwest EnglandPosts: 333
    I'd be asking the people at Stone Lane Garden: https://stonelanegardens.com/

• Thanks for all the advice! We’ve opted for Trinity College as it hopefully won’t outgrow the space and succumb to any insensitive future pruning from over the fence. I think if we move again, and are fortunate enough to have a bigger garden, we’ll get a group of them going as it does look pretty spectacular :) Thanks again everyone x
  • ScottishallotmentScottishallotment EdinburghPosts: 2
    Thanks for all the advice! We’ve opted for Trinity College as it hopefully won’t outgrow the space and succumb to any insensitive future pruning from over the fence. I think if we move again, and are fortunate enough to have a bigger garden, we’ll get a group of them going as it does look pretty spectacular :) Thanks again everyone x
    Where did you get it ! Looking for one atm! :) x
  • Clara MidgleyClara Midgley Posts: 24
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for all the advice! We’ve opted for Trinity College as it hopefully won’t outgrow the space and succumb to any insensitive future pruning from over the fence. I think if we move again, and are fortunate enough to have a bigger garden, we’ll get a group of them going as it does look pretty spectacular :) Thanks again everyone x
    Where did you get it ! Looking for one atm! :) x
    I'm afraid I can't remember - I've even just checked my receipts but think I may have managed to get my husband to get it as an early b-day pressie! 
    It was from a pretty random/ slightly kooky online nursery that wasn't one of the top hits when you google it. I do think that places like ornamental trees sell them but they were a bit too pricey for me x