Forum home The potting shed

This year's bloomers...

LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,510
You'd think that after growing things from seed for 60 years I would no longer make rookie mistakes.  But you'd be wrong.  This is Primula capitata, a pretty little plant with nicely scented flowers which I had growing in my Yorkshire garden.

I brought this little one with me, but also collected some seed before we left in October, and sowed it this spring.  I KNOW primula seed is small, so why did I assume that the "bits" in the envelope were the seed, and the dust was - well - dust... hence I just tipped it all on to the compost, hoping the half dozen "bits" would germinate.  

I got this:

I've pricked out a dozen from that empty corner.  But what the heck am I going to do with all this lot?
"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    @Liriodendron :D

Very pretty though - you can fill the entire new garden with them.... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,510
    There's loads of empty space, @Fairygirl... at the moment!   :D
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
     :D 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• islandanchoressislandanchoress Offshore Atlantic island; West Coast of Ireland Posts: 238
    Ah they are utterly lovely! I would love to..... rehome.... a clump! Please!
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,510
    I'll find a way of sending you some, @islandanchoress.   :)  I've got your address.
  • islandanchoressislandanchoress Offshore Atlantic island; West Coast of Ireland Posts: 238
    I'll find a way of sending you some, @islandanchoress.   :)  I've got your address. 
    Kind lady! 
    Actually I was looking at it all as I pulled chickweed etc, and it is a "Kindness Garden" as so many plants and seeds were given. Many from here. You all blessed me mightily! THANK YOU.