Forum home The potting shed

Time spent planning, vs. working, vs. ENJOYING your garden

LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,648
How would you break down the time you spend planning, reasearching, browsing nursery catalogues etc, vs. doing the manual jobs of weeding, hard landscaping, pruning etc, vs. sitting out there and enjoying what you have created? It strikes me that I spend a lot more time doing the first two than the third - although I enjoy all of it so it doesn't matter. But I must make more time to just sit and enjoy :)

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,730
    about 5% of the first, about 90% of the second, and about 5% of the third
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,116
    What do you count as enjoying? Gardening is the enjoyment for me but I think my idea of a perfect garden differs wildly from many other peoples'.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,844
    1%    64%    35% but only in good weather  :D 
    Haven't been anywhere for over four months but I'm here and I'm mostly happy
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,648
    edited 22 July
    What do you count as enjoying? Gardening is the enjoyment for me but I think my idea of a perfect garden differs wildly from many other peoples'.
    Just sitting and enjoying or wandering about. Like I say I enjoy all of it, but I wanted to distinguish between time simply spent relaxing in the garden as opposed to the act of gardening and garden planning.

I struggle to sit still in my garden to be honest.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,844
    Relaxing Loxley? Relaxing?  I only see the little weeds when I'm sitting having a coffee!
    Haven't been anywhere for over four months but I'm here and I'm mostly happy
  • B3B3 Posts: 13,680
    0%    99%    1%*
    * If enjoyment means sitting doing nothing. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,425
    edited 22 July
    Planning and pondering 20% (8/10 on the enjoyment scale)
    Working and weeding 10% (5/10)
    Sitting and savouring 70% (10/10)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,374
    Like others I enjoy the planning and the doing. Sitting around doing nowt, other than a quick tea break, not so much unless I have visitors (which is rarely). Planning tends to go on in my head while doing boring things like housework (yes, needs must sometimes) so it's probably something like 3%, 96%, 1%.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,648
    I'm probably 60 / 30 / 10. I count internet 'shopping' and staring intensely while mulling over what to do next as 'planning'. My neighbours must think I'm odd when I stand for ages in the middle of the garden, face screwed, staring at the border or at the fence. That's fine, I don't care about being odd!
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,012
    Maybe 20:70:10. Much of the planning happens when I'm lying awake in the middle of the night. The enjoying only happens when I'm sitting out with my OH having a coffee or an early evening drink never by myself.