Forum home Plants

New Garden Plant IDs

LucidLucid Posts: 371
Hi everyone,

We've recently moved in to a new place and have a lot of plants in the garden that we can't ID. If any of you happen to know what some or all are it'd be much appreciated, thanks. I'll number the photo sections just to be clear which plants are being referred to as some of them have more than one photo to show different parts of the plant. The garden is in quite an overgrown state at the moment so there are many more shrubs around the place but these look the most interesting at the moment.

Plant No. 1 (spiky leaved plant)

Plant No. 2 (yellow flowered shrub) 
Plant No. 3 (shrub/tree in upper left half of first photo)

Plant No. 4

Plant No. 5

Plant No. 6 (rounded shrub)

Plant No. 7 (yellow daisy flowers)

Plant No. 8 (maroon and white flowers)

Plant No. 9

Thanks for any help. Lucid :)

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 333
    edited 20 July
    1. Phormium
    2. Hypericum
    3. Tree Ivy
    4. Lysymachia
    5. Tanacetum
    6. Spirea
    7. Ragwort (a poisonous noxious weed)
    8. Leycesteria
    9. Hypericum (same family as 2 but a much better plant. Florists use the berries in arrangements - remove leaves)

I think these are right but someone else may be able to give you more details. Lovely to have numbers, wish everyone would do this, makes it a lot easier.
  • I agree, you beat me to it 😅
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,475
    Ragwort is also an essential foodstuff of the Cinnibar Moth, so quite important.
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,072
    No 1 is probably Hypericum 'Hidcote' and No 6 Spirea 'Anthony Waterer'.
    I think No 5 is a Thalictrum, not Tansy, but otherwise I agree with the IDs given by Loraine3 :)
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,381
    punkdoc said:
    Ragwort is also an essential foodstuff of the Cinnibar Moth, so quite important.

Agreed.  But since the seeds can travel far and wide on the breeze, it would be neighbourly to deadhead them.
  • LucidLucid Posts: 371
    Thanks so much to all of you for replying, it's very much appreciated.

@Loraine3 - that's brilliant, thank you so much for helping with all of those. I'd never even heard of tree ivy before - we've also got it growing on top of the garage, which makes sense now I know it's ivy. I'm also pleased to see we've got yellow loosestrife - I was way off thinking it was a type of bog primula! We've got two types of lythrum loosestrife that we brought along from our old pond but I'd completely forgotten you could get this yellow loosestrife. Definitely a keeper for the new pond when we build it.

@punkdoc - thanks for your point about the cinnibar moth as we are wildlife friendly gardeners. The ragwort is actually in the wildflower verges up the road from us so hopefully there is enough around. When I saw it said that it's poisonous I thought I best check whether it's the wildflower that's bad for grazing animals, and have found it is. We've got a horse paddock across the road so I think we'll be safer to remove that from the garden. But hopefully the cinnibar moths will flourish with the load of it that's further up the road. 

@Buttercupdays - thanks for your suggestions for the varieties. I really like to know exactly what plants we've got for my records but that's the trouble with an inherited garden as I imagine it's really hard to distinguish some plants. I'll keep a note of those though and keep a check on them. I agree (now that I know what I'm looking at) that No. 5 is a type of Thalictrum as the flowers weren't daisy like and I think the leaves match up. 

Lucid :)
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,072
    Don't be beguiled by that yellow loosestrife (Lysimachia punctata).
    It is an out and out thug unless kept on starvation rations and is one of the very few plants I wage war against. (The other is common orange crocosmia) I have a large garden with lots of room for spreaders, but this one is trying to take over completely and will soon succeed without drastic action on my part!
  • LucidLucid Posts: 371
    Thanks @Buttercupdays and I'll keep that in mind - there is also loads of the orange crocosmia! There's loads of other things too. We were going to be changing up the garden in a major way but my partner is now talking about just minimal improvements to the house and selling and moving on so not sure how much I'll end up doing now. But it's at least good to know the bad thugs for the time being.

Lucid :)