Forum home The potting shed

Brussels thwarts government's effort to halt spread of tree disease

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,177
An article from The Telegraph today -

The EU will not let the UK ban imports of trees possibly infected with Xylella fastidiosa

A parting gift from the EU..

https://news.knowledia.com/CA/en/articles/brussels-thwarts-government-s-effort-to-halt-spread-of-tree-disease-e6b3d6ca4f45c34b9a257f0265ef817212fc8ca4

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,598
    If it's true it will only be a problem for the next few months.  I can't see any decent importer bringing in trees which it believes may be diseased.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,789
    The Telegraph goes out of its way to find/embellish/invent stories that make the EU look bad and people are gullible enough to believe.

I very much doubt that UK border posts include tree/plant/animal/illegal immigrant  inspections at every possible port so even if the UK did impose a ban they'd have to rely on people obeying the rules rather than trying to circumvent them and we all know how the British people vary from those with criminal intent to those too stupid to care about or realise the consequences and the rest who quietly go about their live being responsible citizens and having to cope with the fall out.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,694
    Imo, the Barclay brothers should be on top of the bonfire.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
    It's old news anyway.  I first read about this a few months ago, and I'm not a Telegraph reader.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,485
    Do they live near Lewes? It would be convenient @punkdoc
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,332
    The UK can ban those imports when Brexit is completed can't they? Isn't that sort of thing what Brexit is for?

Any plant being imported or exported from any EU country must have an EU plant passport. That would mean the growing conditions and the plant must be disease free. 

I don't believe the UK will be able to stop all diseases because after all, its so geographically close to mainland Europe that birds and even insects can cross.

As someone said, the Telegraph is known to be pro Brexit. Stories like this are just as bad as the Daily Mail. There to cause emnity. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,199
    Bijdezee said:

Any plant being imported or exported from any EU country must have an EU plant passport. That would mean the growing conditions and the plant must be disease free. 

Dutch nurseries are officially "disease free" if 95% of their stock is. 

I have to say , 5% diseased stock doesn't say " disease free" to me .
    Devon.
  • nick615nick615 Posts: 536
    Now that Brexit is imminent, Michel Barnier claims to be worried about diseases getting out of N Ireland into EU Ireland.
    It's old news anyway.  I first read about this a few months ago, and I'm not a Telegraph reader.