Forum home The potting shed

What plants do you not like, but grow for nostalgia or sentiment?

2»

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,544
    Fairygirl said:
    None. I'm not sentimental about plants. I only grow things I like.  :)
    Ditto. I'm not carrying passengers. 
    Devon.
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,548
    Pelargoniums. I dislike the leaves, they look like a houseplant/tropical plant/not natural and they are typical old lady/grandmother plants (at least in my home country). But my husband likes them because his grandmother used to grow them and he likes the scent of the leaves. And my grandmother grows them too.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,622
    Early on in my relationship with my wife she showed me a very poorly aloe plant that was given to her by a relative who had passed away, I got the plant back to full health for her and now, years later, we're still stuck with the bloody thing. Neither of us like it and she still doesn't make any effort to take care of it but she can't bear to part with it and I have to keep it healthy. We did have five or six of them that I'd taken as cuttings just in case one died but I've talked her down to just keeping the one. It's a boring light green type that sprawls limply out of the pot with no real redeeming features like interesting structure or markings. It's an all round crap plant taking up precious window sill space that could be used for sedums.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,809
    My husband likes the creepy black grass that isn't grass. I give it minimal care but it clings on to life. I don't want it to get lush as it would be even creepier.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,006
    I have a pyracantha (unknown variety, orange berries) that wouldn't be my first choice but my Nan grew it from a cutting and gave it to me not long after we moved here, and the birds like it, so I keep it. I also have the variegated Vinca major that OH's Nanna gave me which is a bit thuggy but not too hard to pull out the excess now and then so it stays too.
  • sarinkasarinka Posts: 268
    Geraniums (well... pelagwhatsits), which I hate the smell of. But my husband buys them for me sometimes, usually mixed in with other bedding plants I love (lobelias, petunias, begonias,etc)- so I say thank you and plant them.😁
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,654
    Fire said:
    I grew montana because I grew up with it. And roses.

I missed the bit of the title about not liking the plants but only grow them for sentimental reasons. I like montana and roses.

No, I don't grow anything I hate, but I do think most of our tastes are associative.
  • KiliKili Posts: 479
    edited July 2020
    Maybe not sentimental but, Roses, hate them with a vengeance but, my sister in law bought me one which is now in a pot and the wife wont let me butcher it as it will upset her sister and her, (never upset her indoors as retribution will be swift ;) )

I'm trying to find a corner out of site and I'll just roll it into view when I know SIL is coming.
     :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'