Forum home Fruit & veg

Corgettes rotting on plant

I have 2 corgette plants each in a large pot. Baby corgettes keep developing but before they get to a decent size they go brown and mushy at one end and just rot on the plant. Can anyone help?

• robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 586
    I have had this happen to the odd courgette before and once I spot it starting I remove the courgette and dispose of it so it does not spread. Once it starts to go bad a courgette is unlikely to improve so I have found being quick in removing any that are effected with the problem has meant it has not become a serious issue. I have read that courgettes that are not getting sufficient water can be more effected by mildew and excess humidity and lack of ventilation can also be a problem if you are growing the plants in a greenhouse so it might be worth checking these factors are OK as well.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,907
    That, is  due to the fact that they haven’t been pollinated. If you got male and female flowers you can use a little brush to mix. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,413
    I agree with @Lyn ... the small courgettes rot if they’ve not been pollinated. It’s not a disease. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh