Forum home Fruit & veg

What's eating my basil in the greenhouse?

KmehKmeh Posts: 130
Any ideas? If so, what should I do to ward off whatever it is?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,901
    Haven’t got a clue what that is,  did it just form on the compost? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KmehKmeh Posts: 130
    Apologies @Lyn - should have elaborated more. The first seedling leaves have been bitten off. They are purple basil and suspect they have done the same to some greek basil too as some of the pots are now free of seedlings too. Thinking its snails perhaps? The white/green stuff is perlite after too much moisture. 
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Bound to be sneaky snails or slugs Kmeh, have you checked under the rims of your pots and trays? I check my pots every day and still find the little devils  :)
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    Ahh thank you. Dreadful! Anything I can do on herbs that would keep them away apart from be on watch duty. Ie harmless to humans anti slug treatment
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    I use a combination of deterrents Kmeh some of which work sometimes  :)

Two bands of copper tape about 1.5cms apart around the pot.
    Stand the pot on a stone or upturned pot in a dish of water to make a moat.
    Don't water heavily at dusk as they seek out moisture in hot, dry weather.
    Dusk patrol with a torch and a pair of slug scissors.

If you put slugs or snails into the search on this forum you will see what we are all up against  :D 
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    Thank you!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,901
    I’m wondering what you’re growing them in, doesn’t look very deep.
    usually with basil you sown them in 3 or 4” flower pot, put about 10 or 12 seeds in, when they’ve grown on you take the whole lot out as it is and repot into a bigger one.
    they don’t like disturbance so with that method they don’t know they’ve been moved. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

That's good advice @Lyn. I've only ever grown basil in trays on the windowsill. Successful enough for my purposes but not prolific. Wanted to try lots of different varieties this summer. So sowed some  aroma f1 basil and thai basil in trays and transferred- really unsuccessful! They are pitiful for their time growing. The latest sown were these purple basil and also Greek basil in 8 cm pots. Planned to transfer when big enough.

Out of interest. How far apart to you space and pot depth for your final large pot?
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,302
    One to try is african basil, it is sterile so you need to get a plant, but they are a doddle to propagate and keep a few in a cold frame over winter for the next year. And uniquely you can let them flower and it won't affect the plant.

The RHS page on it: https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/116502/Ocimum-African-Blue/Details
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    Will do. Thank you!