Forum home Plants

wow!.. my sunflowers this year!..

neuromancerneuromancer Posts: 2

• HalleSHalleS WiltshirePosts: 101
    Lovely! Mine have gotten huge this year as well.

• Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 1,244
    Lovely @neuromancer and @HalleS. They are massive! I have three Little Dorrit sunflowers which are in full bloom at the moment. My other taller one( giant ) isn’t as tall as the fence yet, so yours are both doing exceptionally well. Well done!
  • widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 277
    Pleased with mine as well, the wall is 6 foot.

• Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 555
    I’m so inspired by those pictures. 
    Are the roots difficult to remove from the boarder once they have finished for the year?
    Surrey
  • Matt_Matt_ Posts: 41
    I'd never grown them before so planted them probably too early but got away with it thanks to the warm spring. The first one out wasflowering in early June and is now a dinner plate sized seed head. These two are about 9ft tall and flowering now. The closer one I think maybe has some fasciation as the petals are all narrow and the face of it is curling back on itself. Lots of fun!

• HalleSHalleS WiltshirePosts: 101
    edited 17 July
    @Big Blue Sky I have never grown any so big before so I can’t say for sure if the roots will be easy to remove! Last year my sunflowers were a lot smaller and I just left them in until last autumn/early winter. Then I pulled them out with no issue. 
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 1,244
    @Big Blue Sky, they just need a good yanking out when they’ve gone over. Not too difficult to get out at all.
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 555
    Thank you @Songbird-1 , that’s really good to know. I am planning to have a few of those giants in my garden next year. I have a small one in a pot right now and it so loved by bees 🐝 ! So this is a kind of plant I want to have in my garden - a joy for people and bees 😊
    Surrey
  • neuromancerneuromancer Posts: 2
    growing these sunflowers has really cheered me up, cant wait until the eventually flower, they are supposed to be red. they not be as large as the other amazing ones ppl have posted on here, but its a first for me, im growing them for my gran who passed away a year ago, she loved sunflowers
  • Ante30Ante30 Senj, CroatiaPosts: 1,187
    Here is my dwarf sunflower.