Forum home Fruit & veg

Climbing Beans

I planted these beans this year for the first time but they don't seem to be flowering, am i just being impatient? 

My runner beans are flowering and setting. I have grown runner beans and bush french beans for many years without problems.

Any help greatly appreciated. 

• nick615nick615 Posts: 326
    This  https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vegetable/frenchbeans/variety-blauhilde.php  may help.  It certainly says cropping begins in late July and continues into September, so you're not far behind the curve but the only real benefit they have, according to the website, is that their colour helps them stand out when cropping.  They're not exactly popular, which may tell its own story.
  • If it helps reassure you Sunflower, I grew some last year in a large pot and they did very well and I thought and were delicious, so I'm having another go this year. They have only just started flowering though. I'm no authority on beans, or anything else, but yours look lovely and a little less battered than mine because we have had so much wind here lately. They look just about to flower to me. Good luck, - I don't think you will be disappointed!
  • Sunflower26Sunflower26 Posts: 60
    Thank you both, i got the seeds from the front of a magazine and thought i'd give them a go. So even if they don't do anything i haven't lost anything.

Flowerpotgirl, I think these beans are the only plants in the garden that hasn't been bashed by the wind!    
  • Sabina13Sabina13 Posts: 113
    I'm growing these and I've had three huge servings off the plant already. Each serving fed four of us comfortably so... I hope that gives you hope! 
  • Sunflower26Sunflower26 Posts: 60
    Success!
    In the last week the beans have burst into flower and have even set :).
    I think i'll need a few more for dinner though ;)     
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,294
    Now they’ve started you’ll get plenty more 😃 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,854
    I've got some purple climbing beans - different variety - and they are also only just coming into flower, weeks later than all the other beans.
    Odd
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 819
    I am growing Cobra beans for the second year running and am very disappointed again with them. They produce more leaf than flower, yet they are supposed to be good croppers. Maybe they don't like the hot sun down here.