Forum home Tools and techniques

Spindleberry

I love the Spindleberry, but although I get the start of flowers each year, they then fall off, so I never get the beautiful seed cases later in the year.
I have tried all sorts  -  repotted, fed, watered, even bought a second tree, but they both do the same every year.
Anybody have any ideas as to what the problem could be?
Many thanks!

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,036
    ?Not happy in a pot. Possibly ought to be planted in the ground so that the roots can spread out. Only a guess mind.
  • I hadn't thought of that. They are both in huge pots so I didn't see it as a problem, and I repotted one earlier this year to make sure it had room, but perhaps that is not enough.
    Thankyou Palustris!
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,036
    Flower dropping like that is usually a sign of either lack of water or a lack of food. Or both.
    Try feeding the plants with Tomorite and giving them a lot more water, see if that works.
  • Funnily enough, I did all that, as well as repotting into a bigger pot, in the hope of solving the problem. 
    I think you made a good point in your first message.
    My main reason for keeping it in a pot is my garden isn't big enough for a big tree, so if I did plant it, I would have to keep it like a shrub!
    Thanks again for your  thoughts.