Forum home Tools and techniques

Honey locust tree purning

mikeybowlermikeybowler Posts: 2
edited July 2020 in Tools and techniques
Hi, I have a lovely what I believe is a honey locust tree (was already planted in the garden when we purchased the property) and I'd like to know how best to look after it and especially how to prune it to reduce the height and it's branches, I have noticed that there seems to be a few "dead" branch with no leaves. Cheers.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,460
    You should remove the dead branches at the point they meet 'good wood', after leaf fall. I wouldn't recommend any further pruning as it would spoil the lovely shape of the tree. Why do you want to reduce its size? The scale of it is fine and they only cast a light dappled shade. 
  • mikeybowlermikeybowler Posts: 2
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for the advice. The only reason I want to restrict it's height and spread is to keep it at a maintainable size and not become a potential problem between myself and the neighbour, as I do really like the shape and colour of the tree and it would be such a shame to have to remove it should it be left to become an issue. 
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 805
    The issue is that it wants to be quite a large tree. Constant pruning will ruin its shape, particularly the winter outline. If you really want something no bigger than it currently is I would say you have the wrong tree and should look at other options such as crab apples and rowans. They will not look the same but you should not need to prune half as much. Are you absolutely sure it's a Gleditisia? It may be Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia' and there can be issues with themhttps://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=401#:~:text=During%20the%20last%20few%20years,to%20recover%20and%20ultimately%20dies.