Forum home Fruit & veg

Summer pruning of gooseberries

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,798
edited July 2020 in Fruit & veg
I seem to have a mental block with fruit pruning. I get myself so tied up in knots trying to work out what I'm doing. I read / watch videos and then lose my nerve when faced with the actual plant. No such issues with any other kinds of pruning!

I have a smallish (not young though) gooseberry bush which I didn't prune at all last year. I've just harvested all the fruit, and I think it needs pruning. It has grown quite wide and floppy, lots of branches are almost or actually touching the ground - or were when al the fruit was still on it. Can anyone advise - what am I aiming for in a summer prune? Is it a halfway house to winter pruning, or can I do it all now? I hate that I can't seem to get my head round this!
'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,441
    In July I shorten the main branches by a third and cut back side branches to 5 leaves. 

In the winter I do more structural pruning ... thinning out the centre of the bush, removing crossing or damaged branches etc. 

If your variety is a type that tends to droop and sprawl like mine, I always prune the main stems to an upwards facing bud. 

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,798
    Thanks Dove. I'm going to go outside and try to follow your instructions RIGHT NOW  :D
    - Cicero
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,441
    edited July 2020
    Wear gloves 🧤 🧤 !!!

I s’pose I’d better do mine this week or yours will show mine up 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,798
    Done! I did wear gloves. It's quite small so I can take the time to be careful. Thank you, it looks much better and your simple instructions were easy to follow. I just have to remember them! Good tip re the upward facing bud too.
     :) 
    - Cicero