Forum home Plants

Castor oil plant

jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 241
i had a friend give me a bean that she said made a pretty red plant.  Here is what it looks like after about two months.  Do you like it?

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,021
    Love them.  We grow them every year and they are a star in the border.  We find we have to stake ours.  Be aware that all parts of the plant are poisonous, but nothing to be overly concerned about.  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,484
    They don’t grow too well for me, too cold I think, they’re a tropical plant, barely reaching more than 2’ for me, but a lovely plant and pretty flowers. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 508
    Beautiful. Grown mine from last years seeds and have to admit they are not doing so well. Yours looks great.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,475
    Mine get to about 4-5 feet, if I feed and water them well.
    They are tender though, so die with the first frost.
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 241
    I dont know very much about this plant.  I grew it from a little brown bean after the ground was warm.  The hotter the temperature the faster it seems to be growing.  I wish i could send you some seed.  Ill post another picture in a week on its progress.  There must be a reason i dont see anyone growing it?
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,475
    It is fairly commonly grown here, by people who like tropical looking plants.
    It is very poisonous, so don't eat it!
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 280
    It's Ricinus communis. It's where you get ricin fromhttps://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/ricin/qa.asp
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,289
    Lazy people like me don't grow it James because no matter how gorgeous, you have to start again from scratch next year.