Forum home Tools and techniques

Pond Fountain on GW last episode

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811
Does anyone have one and have any advice as which one works well
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• One or two people on our local facebook page have got them, they do look nice but they also do not work when it's cloudy. 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,049
    Was that the solar powered one sitting in a bucket filled with stones? There’s a big choice on Amazon, mostly in the £15 - £20 bracket. The reviews are pretty favourable but it is not something that tempts me.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I'm avoiding buying from Amazon like the plague, but I will read their reviews.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,605
    I have bought several over the years, they only work in the sunshine and they only last 2-3 years at the most but they really add something to the garden and help to keep water clear in small water features. The splashing water seems to attract more insects and birds too. I think they are well worth a try. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,572
    Why are they all made in China?  Like solar powered garden lights!  Took me days of hunting last autumn to find EU made garden lights.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    I don't know if l have just been lucky with mine, but it works even on overcast days. It even kept working through the winter months unless it was particularly dark and dreary. 
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    If you want to know the specific one, I can ask (I know the person in the video, she lives near me and we swap plants). I expect they're all much of a muchness though. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    There are models with batteries that can keep going without sunshine. But like anything solar they add to the mountain of rejected electronics being impossible to repair. One day we will do better on that front...until then I've gone for a low voltage water feature that even has pump spare parts. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    I have had my little solar fountain in the pond for a year.It was even out all winter and was at one point frozen.
    On a sunny day I get a fountain about 2ft high and even on a dullish day it has a fair old go!
    Cost about £15

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings