Forum home The potting shed

Potting Shed with Windows

I’m wondering if anyone is able to comment on their experiences of combo shed / greenhouses specifically the cheaper kind with one wall of slanted glass/Perspex?  This kind of thing:

it would suit my garden quite well to combine these two things, but I am wondering if I am expecting too much to be able to:

- raise seedlings and pot on ready for planting out
- start dahlias a bit earlier in the season
- protecting dahlias and other tender plants over winter (I’m in the South East so doesn’t tend to get too cold.

shed would have the glass wall South facing and should get a fair amount of sun all day.

Does anyone have one and is growing things in one in any way realistic or should I write that idea off?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,839
    If you haven't the space or budget for both a shed and greenhouse then this seems a sensible option.I know someone who put one in their small Brighton garden about 15 years ago and was happy with it. 

I would suggest fixing particle board horizontally across the back wall for extra insulation and strength on the north side and you could then install hooks and screws to hang various tools and a shelf for seed trays and pots.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PheoPheo Posts: 16
    Obelixx said:
    If you haven't the space or budget for both a shed and greenhouse then this seems a sensible option.I know someone who put one in their small Brighton garden about 15 years ago and was happy with it. 

I would suggest fixing particle board horizontally across the back wall for extra insulation and strength on the north side and you could then install hooks and screws to hang various tools and a shelf for seed trays and pots.
    Thanks for the input, will definitely put osb strips or similar across the back to enable hanging of tools!