Forum home The potting shed

Garlic Seed Pods

Hi all, I have what appear to be seed pods beginning to grow on some of my garlic plants. Should I leave them in the ground growing or dig them up as I would with onions that are going to seed? Can these seeds ( if indeed they are seeds) be planted for the next crop? Only my second year growing garlic so not much experience here. Thanks for any info/advice. 🧄

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283
    They are probably bulbils not actually seeds. The vast majority of people remove the scapes before bulbils form. (Scapes are nice fried with olive oil with salt and pepper).

Now you have them, if you want you can air dry them, like you would garlic for storage. When dried treat them like tiny cloves, planting out in the Autumn until Christmas.

Dig up garlic when about a third or two thirds of the tops have browned, you still want some green. Let it all brown and there is a risk of the cloves separating under ground making storage difficult.

• Thanks, Gemma.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,502
    FYI.

I have grown 100 garlic every year for ages and this years plants were ready about 6 weeks early and the cloves/ bulbs were about 20 % smaller than before.

This is due to the extremes of weather we have had this year so yours hopefully will be bigger next year.

Take 10 of the biggest and leave in tact in a warm dry plave and you can plant on another 60 to 80 next year.

I have garlic every day as its good for you.

Happy growing JJM
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.