Forum home Fruit & veg

All about Potatoes

I was given some seed potatoes so unsure if earlies, main or lates, I planted and have been covering the shoots with soil in a bag, these have now overgrown the bag and are approximately 2 foot high, how do I know when I can harvest these, flowers are starting to develope on the stems
any help is appreciated, by this novice veg grower

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,488
    I think conventional wisdom is that when the flowers start to die back, you should harvest.
  • Makes sense, thankyou
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,362
    If they're a variety that doesn't flower, then when the foliage starts to yellow is a good guide. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,233
    As earlies tend to not have flowers( generally) you probably have mains or lates. To check you could dig around and see if you can find a potato near the top, if you would like little new potatoes pick a few, if not leave them till later. The flowers are usually picked off to keep the plants feeding the roots, and yes they are huge tops, which in a bag need to be tied together. Then wait for the tops to start to die back and then check again. Hope this helps @terrysimmonds06 🙂
  • Thank you, all makes sense
  • You may try to wait until the tops(or flower if you want so) turned yellow and fell.