Forum home Problem solving

Large Tomato Leaves

Many of my leaves are up to 10 inches long this year.  Why is this and what does it mean?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,549
    Happy healthy tomato plants 🍅 
    What’s the variety you’re growing?  Have you grown them before?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• OldcompostOldcompost Posts: 191
    I'm only growing about 15 varieties in the greenhouse this year but this only applies to the ones in the bed, not in the pots.  From experience, even a decent sized pot only produces half the sized plants and amount of fruits.  Maybe the hot Spring and dull Summer may have something to do with it?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,093
    Different varieties often have very different leaves.
    I have Stupice which is a potato leaved variety which has small sparse leaves another I grow is Rose de Berne which has huge leaves.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Thanks for your comments.  The tumbling basket type leaves are very small but in the beds there is no pattern.  After writing down a few varieties of the giant sized ones I realised it was all of them, cherry, salad etc.  Also, compared with photos from other years the stems are thicker and stronger as well.  
    They sound like very happy healthy plants.
    Hope you get a bountiful harvest.
    Do let us know of any favorites I like to try something different most years.
    You must have grown most varieties by now :)
    Pete.8:  Hi, of all the varieties tried the very best were Black Opal and Chocolate Cherry in 2018 which were sublime.  However, the following year these were disappointing whilst the yellow cherry types were better.  It's like many things - after recommending something then it let's you down Hahaha.
    That's life I guess @Oldcompost
    I grow Rosella which is similar to Black Opal, maybe I'll try that or Choc Cherry next year for a change.