Forum home Fruit & veg

How long after grafting can you plant an apple / peartree?

Hi all,

As above - I grafted a number of apple and pear trees earlier this year - most of them were a success and I'd like to know when I can go about planting them?

Many thanks 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Assuming the trees you grafted the scions onto are growing in pots, then the answer is any time of the year, as long as the ground isn't frozen or waterlogged.
    That applies to just about any type of tree which is growing in a pot.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Assuming the trees you grafted the scions onto are growing in pots, then the answer is any time of the year, as long as the ground isn't frozen or waterlogged.
    That applies to just about any type of tree which is growing in a pot.
    Thanks - yes, they are growing in pots.

Looking back at my original question, I probably wasn't expressing myself particularly well - I mean how long before the graft unison is healed enough for it to be safe to move and plant the tree?

The last thing I want is to undo a lot of hard work and worry haha
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    If they have already healed on the surface, then the main danger will come from mechanical failure, which could be caused by wind or larger birds landing on the scions, which will still have a quite physically weak join.  The more you can lessen the chances of those happening, the better, so a sheltered spot and perhaps netting raised over the area.  If you can't do that, I would keep them in pots for another year.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.