Forum home Plants

In lawn half moon...what to flowers to plant

I have 2 of these to fill. Direct sunlight most of the day. What would be the best species of either bedding or perennial to plant? Looking for pretty vibrant colours preferably with some height.

thanks in advance  

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,583
    Soil type - acid, alkaline, neutral, sandy, loamy, clay?   Whereabouts are you as that affects rainfall and frost levels?   Do you just want herbaceous plants or shrubs too for winter structure and interest?

Looks to me as tho the soil could be improved with some soil conditioner such as well-rotted manure and/or garden compost to add structure.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,452
    Although it's not my style, they are the type of beds that suit formal bedding IMO, pop a tall canna (or 3) with colourful leaves (e.g. Canna 'Durban'), fill up the rest with Tagetes (a taller variety would be nice), scented leaf Pelargoniums with zingy limey leaves, maybe bedding Dahlias.
  • KiliKili Posts: 858
    If its just a quick fill for the summer whack some Cosmos in there that will fill it with height in no time

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,899
    Hardy salvias, echinacea, and rudbeckia look amazing, are tough and suit more soils, drought tolerant, and hold their flower heads for ages.  Salvias do best with a trim after the first flower and will then send out a second display.  They are perennials and will self seed around, and all about the same height for a uniform display.  And pollinators love them.

Utah, USA.