Forum home The potting shed

Back pain.

I suffer from lower back pain quite a lot and I just wondered if anyone had found a back support or brace that actually worked. All replies welcome.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,016
    I use the Bodybase support.  To be honest, it's more that the support mentally reminds me to keep my back straight, rather than bending too much.  I'm not sure how much actual relief from pain it gives.  I find it useful, but it does get hot to wear on warm days.  Be careful not to wear any such support too tightly.  I did this for the first day I got mine, and had dreadful cramps, as it was restricting my digestive system!
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,417
    Before you start gardening you should do what I never get round to doing, some stretching and bending exercises to loosen up!
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 840
    I’m a long time sufferer of back pain due to disc injuries.  I would spend your money on a few physio sessions once they open up. Makes a huge difference! My physio uses a mixture of ultrasound, manipulation, exercises and acupuncture! When my back goes, I go straight to her....Money very well spent!
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283
    Same as @Flinster, put the money into seeing a good physio. I have an exercise regime of leg lifts I can do at home if it gets bad, really works for me, but you want something tailored to your own condition.

I had purchased braces and supports, didn't help at all and don't use one now.

It's a long history for me, of lower back pain, sciatica and at one time even walking to the end of the the garden would of have been an exercise in pain endurance.

It was a mixture of the physio and working in the garden, including short digging sessions that solved my problems. There can be light at the end of the tunnel.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,069
    I'm trying to teach myself  Tai Chi from a book and find it is a good way to start the day. It is slow, gentle and meditative but still manages to exercise lots of different muscle groups. 
    I had an episode of bad, back pain once, when I could scarcely move and then it was agony. Since then I've been more aware of my body and listen to it. My back doesn't like bending and stooping, so I do a lot of weeding and planting on my knees instead, or use long handled tools and try not to overdo things.

• Tattie HeidTattie Heid Posts: 12
    Thank you to all of you for your replies it is much appreciated.