Forum home Problem solving

Shallow planting advice.

My front garden was mud and weeds. I have cleared the weeds/wild flowers and put down a layer of terram and gravel. To break it up a bit I have built a circular bed. I will plant it up next year properly but for now I want to put bedding plants ( bizzy lizzie,  begonias,  marigolds ect)  for instant colour. I only have about 60mm planting depth though as I don't want to split the terram until the spring so it has a chance to suppress what's under it. Is this enough depth for my planting or has anybody got advice for shallow rooted plants ?

Thank you. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    It should be OK for small bedding plants that are only going to be in there for the next two or three months, if you can keep on top of the watering (at least daily, more if it turns hot again). Basically you'll have to treat it like a wide shallow container.
  • Thanks @JennyJ
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    IGo for sun loving annuals in there.   Busy-lizzies and begonias are not good in full sun, especially with such a shallow root run.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907
    Marigolds would be happy there, osteospermums, petunias and relatives, etc.  You could mound up the soil and plant deep rot rooted type plants near the center of your summer bedding display.

Utah, USA.
  • HelenMFHelenMF Posts: 13
    Instead of planting it up temporarily, maybe consider putting in a pot filled with anything you like, you wouldn’t have any depth issues and wouldn’t have to lift out the soil when you want to remove the ground sheet.