Forum home Plants

Low growing shade tolerant flowering perennials.

MisterBoyMisterBoy Posts: 52
I planted this new border last year with Bellis and aubretia. You can see fairly clearly where the shade line is towards the far (top) end. A couple of things hanging on but clearly not well suited.

It's decent soil but gets very little direct sun. Any recommendations for something that will tolerate it? Ideally flowering but crucially to fill the space.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,839
    If you can work some organic matter into the soil you could try hardy geraniums such as Russell Prichard or Mavis Simpson with pulmonaria and/or brunnera for earlier flowers in spring.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,853
    edited 6 July
    Geranium cantabrigiense, Geranium nodosum 'Silverwood' (can cope with very dry shade). Polypodium vulgare and Asplenium scolopendrium are very pretty little evergreen ferns that look nice with hardy geraniums (and are extremely tough).
  • TackTack Central South UKPosts: 260
    edited 6 July
    The things I have doing well in pretty deep shade are Ajuga reptans, Pulmonaria, Acanthus Mollis, various primulas, vinca minor, hellebore and ferns
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 630
    Geranium macrorhizum is my favorite for those sorts of spots.  Neat and relaible. 
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 183
    Another vote for geranium and evergreen ferns. I have Tiarella (Spring Symphony) in a very shaded spot and it is doing really well - masses of flowers for months now.
  • copaji9056copaji9056 Posts: 4
    Polystichum polyblepharum is a great evergreen fern for shade.

For (admittedly tiny, but captivating) flowers in early spring, you could try an epimedium.

https://www.edrom-nurseries.co.uk/shop/pc/Epimedium-c20.htm

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,728
    Heuchera.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • valerierobertsvalerieroberts Posts: 524
    I have fuchsia that flower very well and how about shrubby clematis. Valerie 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,583
    Epimediums are great for shade dainty pretty flowers.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,016
    Another vote here for Epimediums, also Pachysandra.  Geranium nodosum Svelte Lilac is beautiful and Clos du Coudray is another lovely cultivar.  Cyclamens too, and perhaps some Winter Aconites.

Dryopteris erythrosora and Cyrtomium fortunei are two more wonderful evergreen ferns.