Forum home Problem solving

Garden drainage

Hi all. New member here. Not sure if I'm in the correct place for this. I have attached a picture of an area in my back garden just below the kitchen window. My garden has always had bad drainage and the water has often pooled here for a while. Recently I have noticed that the water stands here for a lot longer than in the past. I've never really thought about this area in the past. Does anyone recognise what this may be? I assume there must be a reason that it wasn't slabbed like the adjacent area. On the left there is a hole in the ground that looks like a drain. It was full of goopy mud and rocks. I cleared some rocks out and the water in the hole eventually drained but new water still stands for a long time. The water is muddy at the moment as I am laying some new chips down in the garden so there is a bit of mud kicking around. Usually it's clear rainwater. Anyway if no one can help then fair enough. Not really sure what to search for. It must serve some sort of purpose. Thanks in advance for any help offered. 


  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,484
    Hello, welcome to the forum  :)
    It does look as though that is some kind of existing drain on the left. Have you thought of trying to lift that section, is it wooden slats ?
    Although the water  level is under the damp course, it does seem to be close to the air brick.
  • nick615nick615 Posts: 1,481
    I'm not going to be able to answer the basic query but I recommend you do get it sorted ASAP because of the dangerous proximity of that air brick in the wall which is designed to allow air to flow underneath the building and keep it dry.
Sign In or Register to comment.