Forum home Tools and techniques

Monty’s large terracotta pots

Hello. Does anyone know where to buy the large Terracotta pots Monty uses? Are they silly money? And if so, is there somewhere to buy similar pots for cheaper? I was looking at Errington Reay based in the NE. Thanks in advance for any ideas. 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,302
    We've talked about them a few times before...yep they're expensive. Unfortunately terracotta costs money in larger sizes no matter where from. ER pots are nice but really don't like all the sloppy glazes, but I suppose that's an aesthetic issue. I tend to like deroma's pots that are simple in design and cost effective. Larger garden centres that don't have an exclusive deal with Woodlodge or Apta usually carry them.  
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,610
    I suspect we may be talking "silly money" similar to these
    https://potsandpithoi.com/
    I think l may have seen the markings on some of is pots of the Yorkshire Pot Company,  they are trade only supplying to garden centres such as this one
    https://bunkershillgardenshop.co.uk/pots-barrels/yorkshire-pots/
    I think it's a question of you pays your money and you takes your choice, cheaper versions may prove to be a false economy,  for example not frost proof.
    You can get very good imitations instead. 

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,608
    Here’s a past discussion that might give you some leads

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/comment/2206777#Comment_2206777
  • Sazz101Sazz101 BucksPosts: 163
    Thank you everyone. So long as I’m not missing out on some insider knowledge of fabulous frost proof terracotta for half of garden centre prices... which seem astronomical. 

Should have searched the threads first. Will have a look now. George I know what you mean about the ER glaze. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,656
    I’m always shocked by the cost of terracotta pots in the UK, but I guess it’s a bigger industry over here. This one is 47cm high x 54cm wide and was 45 euros, retail price from a local GC. I do get heavy frosts sometimes and it seems fine. I chose a plain one but the traditional banded ones are similar prices:

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,585
    edited July 2020
    Pots sold as frostproof have been baked at very high temps but I find it's not foolproof.  There are some very good terracotta effect plastic pots available now and they're a lot easier to move around and won't break if dropped or bashed.

However, @Sazz101, if clay is what you want, you can reduce and even eliminate frost damage on cheaper terracotta pots by painting them with upto 3 coats of clear acrylic varnish which doesn't change the colour but gives a waterproof seal.   However, you won't get the aging patina of algae and moss.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    That’s really pretty Nollie and a great size. Would definitely be twice the price in the UK!

Looking at the links I think I was a bit naive about UK prices. Oh well, I’ll start saving!
    Thank you Obelix. I do the annuals in plastic pots, but want something pretty for my fig tree on the patio. 

Varnish.. Brilliant tip, and I have the time to paint. Will look in to it. Thank you 🙂 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    edited July 2020
    One thing that's definitely cheaper in the EU. Cheaper than some of the fancier plastic pots tbh. I love the look of them but of course they do dry out quicker.

Hubby just said he thinks Monty gets donated them by the companies, people see them and its a free advert. He's a belgian cynic. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,585
    Forgot to say - paint them inside and out so they don't do the whole absorb, freeze, expand and flake or crack routine.  Keep them on feet so they don't sit in water in winter.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw