Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedge cutting timing

WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,309
Morning all we have a big wild hedge on our boundary, we keep it at 8ft high but this year it's grown some 6ft on top😮 when would it be safe to cut it ? I'm keen not to disturb birds and also control the triffid like hedge 

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,602
    The RSPB advice is not between March 1st and August 31st. We have a similar hedge which we’d like reducing and have booked the chain-saw man for early September.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,309
    Okidoki I did wonder as Monty has put it on site as July job, not sure if meant a light though. Well I'll stop polish my hedger now I find another job for the day 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,245
    We cut ours back a week or so ago as it was beginning to overhang our narrow lane but have only done the one side so far. I believe the birds are between breeding right now although I'm probably wrong on that. I think you have to make a choice sometimes between the weather conditions and when it's convenient to you to do some jobs, not just the wildlife considerations.
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    We have started on our back hedge last week. It seems that I have watched it grow this year, it has grown a lot. There were some black birds nesting in it, we kept checking to see if they were gone until we started. They have gone so we have made a quick start as they may be back. We are a third of the way across with it but we have had to pause as our garden bin is now full. Thankfully, they get collected this week so we will be back to it