Forum home Plants

Overrun with chlorophytum spider pups

strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
Does anyone have suggestions on what to do with an excess of spider plant pups? They're on every windowsill, in pots dotted around, and there's still at least 11 billion left on the mother plant. Plus all the pups from last year's pups that are now mature.

I've started clipping and throwing them out, but seems a waste. I feel kinda bad throwing them. Plus if each one is 99p from a supermarket, I'm a millionaire!

Anyone tried planting them out as annuals? I'm far too lazy to do it myself and wait, so I'm interested if someone's done it and can tell me the results (/save me the effort if it didn't work great).

• B3B3 Posts: 21,419
    Can you pot them up and leave them out the front with a please take me type sign?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,419
    Bay leaves, rosemary clippings verbena bonarensis seedlings, primroses, etc etc. You go to the garden centre, look at what they charge for stuff you're pulling out. That being said, I bought a feverfew plant a couple of years ago as it had, for some reason, disappeared from my garden.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Any other year, you'd be able to shift them at summer fetes.  Charity shops, maybe, when they re-open?  Yogurt pots or tin cans would do to pot them, you can punch drainage holes in the bottom.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,673
    B3 said:
    Can you pot them up and leave them out the front with a please take me type sign?
    On the pavement, end of drive.....Put an Honesty box....Charge 50p...... with a sign...Profits to NHS or other charity.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,483
    Make a living wall out of them.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    @B3 @Silver surfer that's a good suggestion about an "end of the drive" table, however where I live the only passing traffic is delivery and post, especially in current circumstances, so unfortunately I think they'd sit for a long time. I don't use social media either, so a giveaway that way doesn't work...

@josusa47 that's a good suggestion, thanks, but the winner is definitely @wild edges - I've thought about a living wall before but never actually done anything about it. This could be a great starter, fantastic suggestion thanks!
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,980
    And just think how many more babies you'll get from it :)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,483
    The pups live for weeks or even months in a jam jar of water. Add some cut flowers from the garden and make nice displays out of them.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.