Forum home Problem solving

Shrub suggestion

Morning everyone, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a suitable plant for my friend.  She wants to plant a shrub in a shady area (it gets sun only first thing and not really after 10am).  She'd like flowers (and scent if possible as she has a bench there).  I thought of rhodos but her soil is apparently not acid enough.   I'm presuming the shrub would need an eventual height and spread of about 3 or 4 foot by 3 foot wide (ish).  She put a philadelphus there two years ago but it won't flower (lack of sun?) and it's getting leggy (searching for light?). 

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions?
Many thanks.  

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,677
    Look into Daphne x Transatlantica Eternal Fragrance. A slow growing semi evergreen shrub that should flower on and off from late spring into autumn. Compact and unlikely to get taller than 3 feet. Scent a bonus too.
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 822
    Thanks K67, I shall spend a bit of time perusing the link.

And thank you Borderline.  The lady has just planted a Daphne Aureomarginate to the side of her bench so she might not want another daphne.  So I may have to investigate my books and K67's link. 
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    What about Sarcococca confusa? evergreen, likes shade, and produces scented flowers in the winter. Might be the wrong season!
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 822
    Thanks Pianoplayer but the flowers are really small and can't be seen.  It's a lovely plant though, I have it in my garden.  :)