Forum home The potting shed

Upside down pots Seen on Gardeners world

Hello, In a couple of recent episodes I have noticed in the background some small terra cotta pots upside down on tall poles. What is the purpose of these??

Thank you

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,730
    Probably to stop the canes poking somebody in the eye. 
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 296
    I think it is so the bed can have netting over it. Stops the birds eating the fruit or young plants. On any allotment site you can see a wide range of methods to serve this purpose. 
  • LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 361
    I think @Suesyn is correct, it's holding up netting. If you put the net just over the bamboo canes, the canes go through the net eventually and doesn't get held up. The pots prevent the net from slipping down. I used to use plastic bottles cause it's lower budget!! 😀
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,681
    If you see them among flowering plants they are usually stuffed with straw and being used as earwig traps because the critters munch tender flower buds. The earwigs retreat to them during the day, so you can empty them out and dispose of them. A tricky one, as earwigs also munch some plant pests too, so depending on the situation they can be friend or foe.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,055
    I use upside down pots on cane tops to remind me where I have just put in new plants - so that I don't forget to water. The system works pretty well.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,678
    Partly so you dont poke you eyes out, and yes to put netting over.
  • LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 361
    I'm guessing someone at the BBC is keeping an eye on the forums, Monty answered this for us tonight 🙂
  • pcajennypcajenny Posts: 2
     :D