Forum home Fruit & veg

Kiwi Berry

Has anyone ever grown these before?  I have been given some seeds by a friend.  Her plant (the only one in her vicinity) always fruits, so I am hoping it is a self-fertile variety.

I have read conflicting advice about germination, some of which says they need a period of cold to germinate.  Is this true, or can I sow the seed now?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,865
    This is similar to what I  did,  they wouldn’t have grown outside here so didn’t have GH space, but if you’ve got room or a warmer climate do have a go.  Anytime as you can keep them indoors as houseplants until they’re big. 
    Youll need to sex the plants later, if you want fruit. 
    https://youtu.be/Un8QtnvzboE
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,619
    Thanks @Lyn and @philippasmith2  I tried to get some seeds to germinate back in March/April, and thought I had 3 healthy plants.  I got a sense of deja vu yesterday, and realised they are Goat Willow seedlings.  Aaaarggghhh.  Not the first time I have done this.

I don't have many seeds left, but I will try them again now.  My friend who gave them to me grows them outside in Quebec, with it's -30c Winters.  They survive and fruit every year, so I am not worried about the UK Winters.  We have a large allotment, so plenty of space to grow them their.  I know we will have quite a wait for any fruit, and that's assuming I can get the seeds to germinate.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I managed to germinate seeds from a supermarket kiwi (A. deliciosa) not the 'berrry' one, which I assume is Actinidia arguta by 'squidging' some of the gooey black seed mass onto kitchen towel to dry for a few days then sowed them on the surface of MPC and covered with a plastic bag, so try surface-sowing your seeds if you didn't before.
    Unfortunately, none of the resulting 5 plants have ever flowered in 20 years but they still grow rampantly in my garden and are very decorative.  I bought an A. arguta last year which was doing well but has since been decimated by spider mite in my GH, and I'm currently awaiting a delivery of predator mites, so not having much luck with kiwi overall!
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,619
    @BobTheGardener I did read that someone had germintated their Kiwi Berry seed in a saucer of water, successfully.  I am going to try them on a damp paper towel on a saucer (having failed to get them to germinate in soil).  I don't actually like Kiwi fruit (not due to the flavour, but because of the hairy skin).  Apparently the Berry variety does not have the hairy skin, so I'm looking forward to hopefully trying it.

Predator mites sounds scary, but intriguing.  I am picturing H.R. Giger-style aliens running around your GH.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    @KeenOnGreen LOL - the spider mite predators would certainly look scary if they were the size of the film variety! :D

(image from here: http://www.indoororganics.co.uk/product/spider-mite-bundle/)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.