Forum home Fruit & veg

Transplanting strawberries

KlinkKlink Posts: 261
I've inherited a strawberry patch in my allotment with some lovely Cambridge Favourite strawberries that are ,or were, doing very well.Unfortunately i have rogue potatoes growing amongst them now and the strawberries are suffering. It's a toss up as to what to do,leave them until after they've finished fruiting and move them or move them now whilst they're still producing fruit,although the amount of fruit has declined as the potatoes are crowding them out.
I'm not a keen strawberry grower but these have have managed to convert me so i'd like to keep them if possible.
Anyone know if they'd be okay to lift now and put in pots temporarily?They're apparently mid season strawberries.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,630
    Never a good idea to move a plant which is fruiting, it places too much stress on them. Leave them until they have fruited, which won't be far away.  Move them after that, and you will also find that they send out runners.  If you shove the runners into the soil, or into pots filled with compost, you will get additional plants for free.  You'll find videos on the Internet about how to do this.  You can soon bulk up your collection.

They should ideally be moved to a new spot every 3-4 years, to prevent diseases from building up in the soil.
  • KlinkKlink Posts: 261
    Thanks for that. They have lots of runners so i'll get them sorted and have more lovely strawberries :) I'm not sure how long they've been in the bed they're in so a move might do them good.