Forum home Fruit & veg

Apple and Plum tree help

hi I bought an apple and plum tree last year and I am new to growing fruit trees, I have a problem with both.
The Apple tree has never blossomed or produced fruit both years. I addition to this the leaves get brown spots on them which spread. The spots are not black. It is a Cox- Orange -Pippin.

The plum tree had fruit last year but it split as it grew. This year it has not blossomed or produced fruit. It also has lots of aphids on it. The plum tree has grown quite tall.
please could anyone suggest what I can use for the brown spots on the Apple tree and say why I have no fruit on both this year? I would like to know what is best to get rid of aphids too. Many thanks in advance

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Can you upload some photos?  It's difficult to diagnose without them.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • traceyjentraceyjen Posts: 15
    Brown spots on apple leaves that spread.
    This is what the leaves end up like
    Plum tree with aphids on leaves. It’s a plum CZAR. St Julian stock. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,231
    I can only say about the plum tree. Unfortunately aphids are a pest to fruit trees, but they get so big its nearly impossible to do something about it.
    I have a Victoria plum on a dwarf root stock but it would still get away from me if it wasn't cut back. Now is the time to cut it into the shape you want ( on a dry day) especially as there is no fruit ( mine is 5yo and didn't really fruit until last year) yours probably was caught by the frost when in flower as it happened at just the wrong time this year. So cut back to the height you want,  ensure the centre is open, as you need light and air to get into the tree, and that will help with the aphids too as they will be on the ends in the new growth you cut off.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,113
    edited July 2020
    The apple tree has scab, a very common fungal disease.

The reason that you are still waiting for fruit? Apart from a lack of flowers, that is. Cox’s Orange Pippin is a variety of apple that belongs to a group of apples called Triploids. Triploids are a pain in the neck. For a start, they require pollen from not one but two other, non triploid, varieties to get them to set their own fruit. Secondly, their pollen will not help to set the fruit of other varieties of apple tree. They are one of life’s lazy bas7ards.

If your neighbours have two other non triploid varieties in their gardens, you may eventually strike lucky.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Thank you for your help purplerallim.
    Thank you pansyface. That is very frustrating regarding the Apple tree as the person who sold it to us informed us it did not need pollen from other trees. None of my neighbours have fruit trees so I presume I’m left with an apple tree that will never produce fruit. I have a very small garden and could not plant additional trees to exchange pollen. That’s very sad.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,113
    It’s still young. Just a baby. Give it time.

There is a modern version of an apple that claims to be Cox’s Orange Pippin and which claims to be self fertile (I think). I’ve never seen one or tasted one so I can’t comment on the claims. Maybe that is what you bought.  Anyway, give it another few years and see how it goes.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Thank you should I cut the Apple tree back now?