Forum home Problem solving

Neighbours Conifer

My neighbour has a huge conifer which also over hangs approx 15ft from the back of our house, he has agreed to cut it down a bit himself, not even professionally, even though we offered to pay, but it will still be at least 20-25ft high and on our side of the fence it is brown and dead in large parts so looks very unsightly. Please help what can I place in front of it to hide it? A new tree? And super high privacy fence? It is on our patio so it’s right there, cannot avoid it! Help! 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    A super high privacy fence might be a problem. You need planning permission for a fence higher than 2 meters.

I'm sure it is truly ugly, but if you can bring yourself to take a picture and post it (use the icon with a mountain in it), I think you might get more responses on what is best to do about it.  ;)
  • SmudgeriiSmudgerii Posts: 185
    If any of it is over the boundary line you are ok to cut it down, and offer it back to the owner.  I’m currently doing just that at my allotment as it backs on to private housing.

Some people have fought in the courts over ‘nuisance’ and others have just tipped weedkiller over the fence, both are likely to cause a fall out, but only one is guaranteed to work.
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,835
    edited July 2020
    Unfortunately many conifers will not regenerate when cut back into old wood so the ugly, dead part of the tree is going to be a feature from now on.  Trying to create any structure more than about a couple of metres high is going to be difficult but, as has been said, photos may help in providing suggestions.
    With the neighbours agreement, it may be possible to grow an evergreen climber up the tree.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,745
    As most patios are near the house it seems this conifer is planted much too close to the properties - one reason a photo would be beneficial.

Rarely interesting trees anyway, a topped conifer, especially one barbered by an amateur, is going to look dreadful. I would be inclined to let him get on with it and when it’s done, and looking terrible, approach your neighbour again to say you’re thinking of employing someone to cut back all the overhanging branches as you’re entitled to do. But, you add, shall you ask him to quote for taking out the entire tree as it is something of an eyesore. Reduced in height, that quote should be a little cheaper than it would otherwise have been.

If your neighbour doesn’t have on his listening ears you’re in trouble. I think a high fence or trellis is a non starter and it is hard to imagine it would be possible to plant anything between you and the tree that would divert attention. A photo is needed for proper comment. If the tree causes most offence when sitting on your patio the only solution I can think of is to put some kind of pergola or arbour on the patio such that, when sitting there, your back is to the tree.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190
    I think that's a good approach @BenCotto.
    The problem with conifers, in general, is that people don't understand how they grow, hence the number of them blocking everything from front windows to entire gardens.
    Photos yes - definitely, to see what room you have too. The pergola/screen is often the best route to go down. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,745
    Is the tree by any chance causing damage to your patio, foundations or fence? If so you could tell your neighbour that your insurer might be contacting his insurer to address the issue. That might put the wind up his willows.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190
    "That might put the wind up his willows."

and his gas at a peep... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• gemma7gemma7 Posts: 5
    gemma7 said:
    My neighbour has a huge conifer which also over hangs approx 15ft from the back of our house, he has agreed to cut it down a bit himself, not even professionally, even though we offered to pay, but it will still be at least 20-25ft high and on our side of the fence it is brown and dead in large parts so looks very unsightly. Please help what can I place in front of it to hide it? A new tree? And super high privacy fence? It is on our patio so it’s right there, cannot avoid it! Help! 

This pic is pre chopping once cut back it’s all brown underneath. And the mud you can see below on the floor is where our patio will be going. (Building at the moment)

• PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 152
    Can I ask why you put the patio there, if the tree bothers you so much? Wasn't there anywhere else you could have built it so you had something else to look at? Not a criticism at all, I'm just wondering. 
    As BenCotto said, a pergola with a climber, such as honeysuckle or passionflower over it, would be nice. And plant some of your own trees down the fence. Some nice acers or black elders would add some colour. Maybe some cherrys or apples.
  • gemma7gemma7 Posts: 5
    The patio is going there because it is the back of my house, I wouldn’t normally put a patio in the middle of my garden (house still being built). We did in fact offer to pay in full but he said no he wanted to do it him self, which is fine. I am asking for ideas to help me make my side more attractive, I haven’t asked him to cut it down just maintain it as it is so huge and shades the garden lots.