Forum home Problem solving

Replacement for a poorly/dead rhododendron?

Hi I have been improving my garden and done a fair bit of work to work around my lovely Rhododendron. Unfortunately it seems to be dying now! One half of its leaves curled last summer and are now dead, the other half is going the same way, such a shame! (It’s been in the middle of a building site for a couple of years) I think we may have killed it either by damaging its roots or possibly its had soil put around the base changing the levels a bit. Assuming there isn’t much I can do to save it, would anybody have a suggestion for a plant that I could replace it with that wouldn’t needs years to grow to the same is size? (It’s hiding my kids secret garden and they will probably only play in there for a couple more years). Tia from a gardening novice.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,639
    Hazel would be a fast grower, and cheap to buy at a decent size bare root; ultimately probably a bit large for the space but you can coppice it. Those twisty corkscrew hazels are more manageable in size, (unfortunately less fast growing) but possibly appropriate for a kids' secret garden.
  • Thanks very much for the suggestion, I like the idea of a hazel. I also like the idea of hazel nuts! I will research hazel trees. Is it realistic that I could get edible nuts in a few years if i had a coppiced curly one? 
  • jillyedsjillyeds Posts: 1
    Hi there, escalonisas are quite fast growers, evergreen, pink, red or white flowers, very hardy and very manageable if given a haircut each year. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    Bit of trellis and a climber - even just annuals would be fine , but there are loads of clematis if you want something longer term. 
    Most shrubs will take a couple of years to establish and grow, unless you buy something already sizeable, and that brings it's own problems. 
    Any hedging plant would do too - even just some privet. Eleagnus or Philadelphus would also be fine. 
    Depends on whether you want something that's going to be attractive long term, or if you want to just bin it after the kids have outgrown the play area.

White Escallonias aren't reliably hardy everywhere in the UK. Looks like a shady spot too, so they wouldn't be terribly happy there. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....