Forum home Fruit & veg

Late Sow of French Beans- how high do I need my poles?

joewyandjoewyand staffordshirePosts: 4
Hello,
I've scoured the internet for an answer to this and cannot find anything..
I was given some French Bean 'Climbing Lake' last week. Date on the packet was sow until June, so I've already rushed to get some in the ground, and gone a bit crazy. I didn't realise they could grow to 2m! and I don't have any long poles - nor do I want to get some in just for their sake until I know I HAVE to..

Do we think they will grow to as little as a metre given the lateness? 
If I have two canes per bean plant, will they wrap around both and so extend their length a bit sideways as well as up?

I'm thinking to make a tipi from a long plank and some string (If I have to!)

I'm about 500m high in Staffordshire Moorlands.

:)

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    You can pinch-out the growing tip when they grow to the maximum height you can cope with.  They will then produce sideshoots from lower down, which will also bear flowers.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • joewyandjoewyand staffordshirePosts: 4
     <3 Thanks Bob!
    God bless pinching!
  • I sowed some directly into the ground a week ago and there is no sign of any growth.  Would there be by now if they were going to germinate?
  • joewyandjoewyand staffordshirePosts: 4
    (Pre-S this is my first garden )I had some in a few days ago, glad they hadn't arrived because of the wind we had! If mine are up within 2 weeks of sow, I'll be happy. my broad beans took ages to pop up, but are thriving now, and their roots were impressive when I transplanted them -

I planted French beans 5cm deep - that's quite a bit deeper than most things I've sown. 
  • I sowed some directly into the ground a week ago and there is no sign of any growth.  Would there be by now if they were going to germinate?
    I had some french bean seeds germinate 29 days after sowing outdoors. I also had some carrot seeds germinate 12 weeks after I originally sowed them. This is my first year attempting to grow veg and I've already learnt seeds seem to work to their own timescales and are happy to wait until the right conditions occur for germination.