Forum home Problem solving

Unlevelled lawn

rahimnv21rahimnv21 Posts: 6
edited 30 June in Problem solving
Hi All - I have a very bumpy lawn, which I need to level. Mainly due up not looking after the lawn.

I have been looking at first scarifying and aerating the lawn, then putting seed.

After this is done to top dress it so that I can level it (ensuring that this is brushed in and not left at the top where the grass is then hidden).

Is this the right way of going about this?

And also does anyone think the Bosch verticutter may be a good tool to use for this process?

Any guidance will be appreciated. 

• Hi, cant offer help but I also have the same issue! I have a "hump" in my lawn which I would like to level out, so will follow this thread :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,008
    I think it would be wiser to add topsoil first to get a good level. Firm down, rake then add again to any dips. Repeat the process until it's a decent sort of level.
    Then leave it until you've had some decent rainfall, as it'll settle again.
    Then seed. 
    Aerating and scarifying is slightly pointless, although if the ground is compacted, it's certainly worth aerating.

Unfortunately, it's not always the best time of year to sow seed, unless you're in an area which gets regular rainfall. It's best left till around September if that's the case, to take advantage of enough warmth coupled with enough rain to get good germination.

However, it also depends just how uneven the lawn is, and how big the area is. Small dips can just be treated easily with a bit of soil/compost and reseeding. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• rahimnv21rahimnv21 Posts: 6
    edited 1 July
    Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

its not a large lawn, probably around 70square metres.

There are areas where it is compacted and I have a lot of dead grass or grass just not growing (no matter how much seed I put down). 

That’s why I thought scarify, aerate, seed then topsoil.

But I may follow your suggestion on topsoil first.

Do let me know if I should scarifying and aerate first. 
    If seed isn't growing, you need to address the reasons. There could be several, but without seeing it, it's difficult to make a judgement. 

For instance- compaction from foot traffic, children playing etc is always difficult to sort. Shade can mean seed doesn't germinate well, and grass doesn't thrive. Dry conditions make it difficult too.

In the photo above you can see the areas. I have cropped out the full size. You can see anywhere where it’s dead grass it’s lumpy and has been for years.

i actually get full sun in my lawn as it’s south facing and there are no covered areas.

It's probably suffering from drought. Grass needs lots of water to thrive and be healthy and green.
    If you don't get regular rainfall, it's best to leave the grass a slightly longer length. Never cut too much off when you do cut it - about a third is the ideal. 

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

I just dug into some of the bumpy parts and I discovered ants inside. Loads of them. I figure if I was to dig around all the bumpy parts there probably will be more ants. 

How do I fix the rest of the lawn? Do I just keep on digging everywhere?

Then what should I do to get rid of this?

I suspect after this I would just add the top soil, let it rain or water it down then keep on adding it accordingly to level it and then put the seed?

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,033
    It’s likely a combination of factors; compaction, thatch and soil depth / quality. I agree with @Fairygirl in terms of timing. Leave it till September. Aeration, scarification and good application of top dressing and reseeding. 
    Thank you all for your help.

I will it a go in sept and see.

Will it solve the ant problems as well right? 
    The ant nests are a sign of it being very dry. Once you get some consistent moisture in there, that should help.  :)
    You'll just need to tackle it as well as you can, but a good soaking will certainly help initially, and after you get some topsoil in place. Ants like dry conditions, so you might find that an ongoing problem in future. Be vigilant next year, especially if conditions are dry.  :)