Forum home Tools and techniques

Horse Manure - How long till use?

Hi Guys - I have an endless supply of fresh horse manure, but how long should I leave it aside in my compost area before I use? 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,206
    Is it mixed with straw or just poo? Some people pile it on any time but I like to leave it until it looks the same as the other compost. I find that if there isn't any straw it is better to mix it into the compost, it breaks down faster.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,195
    I layer it up with woodchip from a tree surgeon and grass clippings. It'll be ready to use next Spring. I don't turn/ mix it 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    I can lay it on here on bare ground in late summer, and have it ready for use in spring. 
    If you want to use it round plants, leave it in your composting area for about 6 months.
    Most horses have shavings now rather than straw, and it's much quicker to break down for use. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi Guys - its pure poop as I take it from the pile collected in the field in the summer months from my horse. I currently have it in a heap on bare soil at back of garden.
    can you cover it up ? It'll keep the heat in and speed things up and the worms will work right up to the surface if it's covered
    Devon.
  • yes - its covered over with large horse feed bags, very handy to have horses and gardening!
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 239
    yes - its covered over with large horse feed bags, very handy to have horses and gardening!
    This argument would not work on my [horse-phobic] partner! Where we used to get our manure from, the horses liked to wander over and see what we were doing, so my job was to keep them away from her 😄
    My neighbour delivers mine , and always asks exactly where I want him to put it.
    Devon.
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 419
    Hostafan1 said:
    My neighbour delivers mine , and always asks exactly where I want him to put it.
    Surely you mean your neighhhh-bour 😂😂
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    Get yer coat @Stephanie newish gardener.... :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....