Forum home Problem solving

Making tapwater

*amazon*amazon LiverpoolPosts: 12
Hello!

I garden in containers and don't have space in the right place for a rainwater butt (and can't really mess with the drainpipes to install one as I don't own the house) so was wondering if there's a good way to make the tapwater a bit less offensive for the daily watering often required over summer.

I can sit water out in watering cans and buckets to let the chlorine dissipate but would like to do more to make the tapwater just a bit better for my plants.

Any suggestions please? Thank you.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,260
    when did tapwater harm garden plants?
    Devon.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,032
    Ages ago there was some conversation on using tea bags to help acid loving plants to thrive in hard water areas...but really only those plants are the ones that don't like hard water. The rest would delighted to receive any water whatsoever. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,171
    I know when I had a lot of house plants when I lived in London rain water was recommended for a few them.

Never had any problem watering containers or veg in the garden with tap water.
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 500
    edited 30 June
    I see you're in Liverpool, so you can check your water quality here: https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-and-support/your-water-supply/drinking-water-quality/

I'm just down the East Lancs from you and my water comes from the Lake District and is lovely and soft.  Is yours is the same there's not really any need to do anything, even for acid loving plants.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,570
    Most of my watering is done with tap water - with no repercussions whatsoever. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • *amazon*amazon LiverpoolPosts: 12
    Oh I should add, I live in the northwest so it's not hard water, I just notice the plants look SO HAPPY when it rains as compared to me giving them a good soaking 🌞
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,171
    I think that might be due to air humidity, and lack of drying sun, rather than the water itself. 

My plants look happiest after foliar seaweed feed, they are not fooling me into giving it to them every day though.  ;)
  • SmudgeriiSmudgerii Posts: 162
    FlyDragon said:
    I see you're in Liverpool, so you can check your water quality here: https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-and-support/your-water-supply/drinking-water-quality/

I'm just down the East Lancs from you and my water comes from the Lake District and is lovely and soft.  Is yours is the same there's not really any need to do anything, even for acid loving plants.

That service is for drinking water quality and therefore not available for plants or pets, it would be a waste of a phone call.  Plus every unecessary call out and subsequent laboratory testing costs each and every bill payer in the region ( I’m one of them ) so please don’t waste their money.

The checks are to ensure the water is potable and meets the stringent regulations set by the Drinking Water Inspectorate.  
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,570
    Nobody, but nobody, waters as well as Mother Nature when she's giving everything a good soaking.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 500
    edited 30 June
    Smudgerii said:
    FlyDragon said:

That service is for drinking water quality and therefore not available for plants or pets, it would be a waste of a phone call.  Plus every unecessary call out and subsequent laboratory testing costs each and every bill payer in the region ( I’m one of them ) so please don’t waste their money.

The checks are to ensure the water is potable and meets the stringent regulations set by the Drinking Water Inspectorate.  

Um, I think you've misunderstood.  You put your postcode in at the bottom of the page and it gives you details about your water supply on the website...