Forum home Problem solving

catoneaster problems

Hi, can anyone help with a problem catoneaster? We have 2 within 5M of each other one is good see pic and the other has no flowers and some leaf drop. The bits that were flowers are hard and brittle when broken off. See three pics.
Also next to the problem one is a red robin that also does not look its best.
Any ideas?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,876
    When were these shrubs planted? From the photos, they all look quite mature. With gravel coverings, it's sometimes very difficult to know whether your shrubs have enough water. Droopy leaves are usually a sign of water stress. Drying tips or flower buds indicate a recent issue or possibly high winds drying the tips. On the whole, the shrubs don't look all that bad.

If you have only had them planted less than 2 years ago, it's very likely your shrubs are not getting enough water. Even at 5 meter gaps, there can be varying growth and outcome due to the soil structure underneath.

I cannot see any issues with the Photinia. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,260
    is the gravel on soil, or ,dare I ask , is there "membrane" under it?
    Devon.
  • mikeatatummikeatatum Posts: 3
    Hi, gravel is on a membrane 
    They are approx 4 yrs old the good one is certainly more sheltered, the bad one would get all the prevailing wind.
    the membrane is certainly doing them no favours 
    Devon.
  • mikeatatummikeatatum Posts: 3
    Thanks will remove some around it. Do you think it will need a 'good ' water/ feed?
    if you think about it, a lot of the rain which falls will drip off the foliage onto the pavement and what does hit the ground has to coat all the gravel and the membrane before it even hits the soil. How much rain actually gets right down to the roots? 
    As you might guess, I'm not a fan of membrane under plants. 
    Devon.