Forum home Plants

hedges and neighbours

124»

• ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,900
    I suppose it’s more about the feeling of privacy, knowing neighbours can’t see you, and if you can’t see them, you can sort of pretend they’re not there! The bathroom window is more a potentially useful leverage to keep the hedge higher. Hopefully only the bathroom window overlooks your property and if it is frosted, you can see them but they can’t see you!
    Another solution if your garden is large enough, could be to strategically plant a single tree to provide a block, or put up a pergola carefully sited to improve your view?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,464
    I fail to see why anyone should be concerned at being able to tell that someone is using the bathroom ... isn’t it a normal part of daily human life? 
    We’ll be putting ruffles on piano legs next 😉 
    I think it depends on the definition of "using the bathroom ", a shadowy figure moving around behind frosted glass is one thing,  but there are some people who get a kick out of knowing they can be seen (not that I'm suggesting the OP's neighbours are ! ).
    It may be worth inviting them round and showing them the perspective you have from your garden,  if they still insist you go ahead at least you know that you tried. 
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    edited July 2020
    I fail to see why anyone should be concerned at being able to tell that someone is using the bathroom ... isn’t it a normal part of daily human life? 
    We’ll be putting ruffles on piano legs next 😉 
    I did think at the time when my neighbour claimed he could 'see us in the bathroom' it said more about him than us.  :D I mean we all shower, take a bath, clean our teeth, take poo.. I did ask a builder once why the light fittings in our bedrooms were so off center and positioned close to the windows. Apparently it was done in older houses so neighbours couldn't see a shadow through the curtains if the light was on in the bedroom at night, the shadow being cast on the 'safe' inside wall'. It must have been shocking for people before  ;)