Forum home Plants

hedges and neighbours

• debs64debs64 Posts: 5,124
    Maybe if the OP told the neighbours about the bathroom issue they would put up a blind? That said my son sunbathes almost naked in our garden and his attitude is if they don’t want to see it they should look away. It’s a tricky one! 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863
    debs64 said:
    Maybe if the OP told the neighbours about the bathroom issue they would put up a blind? That said my son sunbathes almost naked in our garden and his attitude is if they don’t want to see it they should look away. It’s a tricky one! 
    We certainly looked the other way when she was in there. Even with no light on, it was pretty "in your face" but even when it got dark, she never pulled down the blind
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,878
    We don’t have a blind in our bathroom, but since we’ve lived here we’ve not had a neighbour who could access the upstairs ... when someone new moves in we’ll have to get a blind 😂 🛀 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    We had a neighbour said they could 'see us in the bathroom' through the frosted windows. Asked around and was told it was nonsense, all anyone could see was the light was on and perhaps someone was in there.

Still we haven't got curtains up on the landing at the moment because of decorating. I wouldn't put it past my son to walk out of the bathroom starkers and take the attitude neighbours shouldn't be gazing at our landing window all the time when sat in the garden...

edited June 2020
    We have slatted blinds in our bedroom at the front of the house ... I rarely ‘close’ them. There is no house directly opposite us and I take the view 😉 that if someone cranes their neck at an angle to watch me getting dressed etc then they deserve all they get. 🥴

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    My back garden is surrounded by sheltered housing, eight maisonettes mostly chaps over 27.  No hedges just chain link fencing and I often go out first thing to feed the birds in my nightie - and then listen for the siren in case it was too much for one of them. :D 
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,399
    We once had neighbours who lived in a house opposite on lower land. The lady of the house used to wander from the bathroom into her bedroom and pass in front of a large mirror, completely starkers. I thought she would be so horrified to find out we could see, I called round to have a quiet word. I'm not sure who was the most embarrassed, her or me (I was rather young at the time). 
    When we were having this house refurbished, the glaziers insisted on us having frosted glass in both bathrooms so I don't know whether this is now part of Building Regs?

North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    Our bathroom is on the ground floor (normal here) and it has clear glass. the shower has brick sides so in the shower is private but the toilet is right by the window, It looks out onto the front lawn and then onto an A road... nice for watching blackbirds murder worms.. not so great when you have a party and there are people on the lawn.. or when you can wave to the tractor drivers going by.
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,899
    Despite having frosted glass in our bathroom windows, you can still make out shapes inside, even during the day without the light on. I got some frosted window film from Lidl, applied it on the inside of the frosted glass and it’s made a great difference. Even with the light on, it’s very hard to even tell if there is someone in the bathroom. 

Its very difficult for you if the surrounding houses are higher up than you. If your laurel hedges are anything like ours, eventually they will need reducing in height to keep them thicker and denser lower down, rather than turning into trees like ours did. Could you suggest to your neighbour that you bring them to a height sufficient to block the view to and from their bathroom window, in order ‘to preserve privacy for both you and them’! 2.5m is really a bit arbitrary, fine for a hedge with nothing the other side of it, but often, a hedge is there to provide screening from a specific viewpoint. Maybe they might be receptive if you can demonstrate what height you actually need and why?

I fail to see why anyone should be concerned at being able to tell that someone is using the bathroom ... isn’t it a normal part of daily human life? 
    We’ll be putting ruffles on piano legs next 😉