Forum home Plants

hedges and neighbours

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Posy said:
    I'm sympathetic, but we all have to make allowances for other people's taste. Some like geometric hedges. In my neighbourhood, fairy lights and wind chimes are all the rage. It's the countryside, we have the sun and the moon and the stars for light. The birds sing, the wind whispers or roars, the leaves rustle. But we have fairy lights and wind chimes. That's what they want, apparently.
    I thought it was just townies moving out here that did that, obviously not! 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863
    It's your hedge , and you're not breaking any laws. If it suits you to leave it as it is, and it would detract from your enjoyment of your own garden to cut it back, I'd leave it.
     Would your neighbours take kindly to you going round telling them what they should do with their garden just to suit you? 
    I'm so glad I don't have neighbours.
    Devon.
  • true thanks all I should stop moaning and get chatting to them.  there English isn't brilliant and they have just hacked into what they feel is a nausance.  I just don't want to come home and they have reached over and cut them down:'(
    hd
    true thanks all I should stop moaning and get chatting to them.  there English isn't brilliant and they have just hacked into what they feel is a nausance.  I just don't want to come home and they have reached over and cut them down:'(
    In which case I suggest you inform them that "reaching over and cutting them down" would be a criminal offence . 
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,889
    so there house is up high and over looks our house and the lady of the house loves her showers and we can see into their bathroom - it is gross"!

How about suggesting a compromise ... you'll cut the hedge down to 2.5 metres so it doesn't impact on the quality of their lives, if they install and use a blind in the bathroom so that the view doesn't impact on your quality of life or get you accused of being a peeping tom  ;)

Good neighbourly relations are worth their weight in gold and can only be achieved by neighbourliness and compromise.   :)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,448
    How about suggesting a compromise ... you'll cut the hedge down to 2.5 metres so it doesn't impact on the quality of their lives, if they install and use a blind in the bathroom so that the view doesn't impact on your quality of life or get you accused of being a peeping tom  ;)
    I wouldn't fancy tackling that one. 'We'll cut our hedge but it's not the only bush around here that's badly in need of a trim' probably isn't going to go down well. :#

If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,889
    It's not what you say it's the way that you say it ... "Won't it compromise your privacy if we cut the hedge down?  We can see right into your bathroom when we look out of our window" might be a better way of phrasing it 🤣

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• debs64debs64 Posts: 5,126
    Don’t bathroom windows have frosted glass? I think a hedge nearly 8 foot high would be sufficient for most people. I would recommend a compromise you don’t want to fall out with neighbours if it can possibly be avoided. 
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,145
    Lots of available information on the net. Evergreen hedges (more than two plants) over 2M are covered by the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003. 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/38/part/8

Always best to reach an amicable solution with neighbours of course.
    debs64 said:
    Don’t bathroom windows have frosted glass?
    In my last house , the neighbour opposite used to brush her teeth with no top on and the blind up, trust me when she leant bag to gargle, it left nothing to the imagination, frosted glass couldn't disguise those!!! 
    From my bedroom I could clearly make her out in her shower. ( clearly I WASN'T  actually looking at her )
    Devon.