Forum home Plants

Carex Problem

Hello, 

Could anyone help me with identifying what is wrong with the Carex on the left hand side of the planter?

Thank you!

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 310
    No photo showing. It may be too large to upload. There is a way to resize it but will leave that to a techie to explain 
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero

• Hopefully that worked!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,008
    I think it's dead. 
    If you remove all the manky stuff, and give it a good watering, it might revive. There's a couple of bits that look not bad. 
    It's not the right time to split them, but it might be worth doing it anyway.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Do you know why it has died though? I don't know if I have the right soil conditions?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,008
    What are they growing in?
    I find most of them quite adaptable, although they do like plenty of moisture.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 930
    Mine looked the same probably underwatered but I have divided it up and replanted bits that look healthy. It might  survive but as it was looking unkempt anyway and the colours had faded and a cheap plant to replace I am not too bothered. 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,499
    It's usually a good idea with Carex to tidy them up every Autumn - remove the obvious dead bits, etc. and give them a chance to regenerate.
    Yours has what appears to be healthy growth on the RH side - clean it up and see what you are left with.
    Bit like going to a hair salon after a few months - removal of the dead bits often makes you feel a whole lot livelier ( or even lovelier ! ) :D