Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato blossom end rot

lemzlemz Posts: 15
Hi everyone,

I'm new to gardening and I'm having some issues with blossom end rot on my tomatoes (grown in a pot).  I feel the top inch or two of the soil every morning to check if it's dry, if so, I give it some water.  Unfortunately my tomatoes all have BER and I don't know what I'm doing ... I'm guessing I might be under/over watering.  Am I supposed to water every day or every few days depending on dampness of soil?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,830
    Anybody?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,669
    The cause is a lack of water reaching the actual tomatoes so they need more water.
    But, don't start giving lots more, as that'll cause other problems, just give them a little more.
    I wish I could say give each plant x litre a days, but that's not how it works. It really comes down to experience, trial and error and weather conditions.
    Once you get the watering sorted your toms will be fine.

An RHS article here may help
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=395

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • HotwaxHotwax Posts: 51
    I have always found it tricky to get the watering of tomatoes in pots right. I too have often had blossom end rot in the ones grown in pots but never (yet!) had it on the plants growing in the greenhouse borders. They seem to need a constant supply of water, rather than lots in bursts, then none, though this goes against most advice. I am trying putting a container under one pot and keeping it topped up. This is just an experiment. I’ve got lots of other plants so I won’t mind if it doesn’t work! In the borders I planted very deep and they need far lass watering.
  • lemzlemz Posts: 15
    Thanks Pete.8, I might just have to accept I won't get any good tomatoes this year.  Hotwax, thanks for your input.  Good to know you've not had BER on your plants growing in the borders.  I don't think I'll try growing tomatoes in a pot again.
    You certainly can get good tomatoes this year.
    The ones that are damaged won't recover, but you can cut the manky bits out.
    If you get the watering right, the BER will stop and your toms will be great.
    Good luck!
  • HotwaxHotwax Posts: 51
    Yes, don’t despair! I think the extremely hot weather we have had was probably to blame, and let’s face it, unlikely to return. So you will get good tomatoes, I’m sure!
  • lemzlemz Posts: 15
    Thanks Pet.8, hopefully I can get the watering right, otherwise I will have a lot of manky bits to cut out  :/

Weather is a bit miserable at the moment you're right and it was really hot before.  I'm saddened by how black some of them have turned at the bottom.  Hopefully I can get some good tomatoes.  :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,437
    I had it a few years ago with tomatoes grown in a greenhouse, gave them a watering with epsom salts, cured the problem
    Be very careful using Epsom salts for BER.
    The Epsom Salts provides magnesium and in most conditions the magnesium will prevent the plant from getting any calcium at all and worsen the problem.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,007
    I only grow in pots, and undercover. Never had BER. Most people overwater toms.
    They're best allowed to get slightly on the dry side between waterings. The most important factor is to be consistent with it too.
    If you keep watering when only the top inch or so is dry, it means most of the roots are sitting in permanently wet soil which isn't a good idea. The type of soil/compost you have them in is also a factor in pots. Heartier stuff won't dry out so quickly  :)

Just remove the damaged stuff, as already said, and don't go mad with the watering can every day.  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....