Forum home Plants

London Pride

deni7275deni7275 Posts: 7
Hello, could anyone tell me when is best to plant London Pride, thank you 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,830
    You are lucky if you can find it, it's becoming very rare.
  • deni7275deni7275 Posts: 7
    lol, if I do when would I plant it?  my local garden centre said they only got 10 in and they went straight away 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,830
    I'm surprised they had it! I had to beg some from a friend and am now building up the plant in a pot. I'm being careful as my soil is very alkaline and its not the best type I've been told for London pride, also using rain water.
    I have ordered saxifraga umbrosa,  hopefully it will arrive ok but not due until late September 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,920
    General advice is to take cuttings either after flowering in late spring or in September as these are the most active growing periods for them. If the ones you buy are in good sized pots then any time of year should be fine as long as they don't get baked and dry out in the sun.
    excellent, think my age wants to get garden plants from my youth, I have asked around for them a few years now with no success, I can't understand why they are so difficult to find.
  • B3B3 Posts: 13,202
    I've been looking too . Purely nostalgic reasons
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,920
    I've taken cuttings from a couple of peoples' gardens to get my stock but I did find a variegated form in the local nursery which is the only one I've ever seen for sale. It's a lovely plant in the right place but sadly a total vine weevil magnet in pots.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,149
    It's far from rare in my garden!  If anyone wants cuttings, send me your address.
    thats kind of you