Forum home Plants

A rose from nowhere

AllyblueeyesAllyblueeyes Posts: 235
Evening everyone, I know this could be a long shot, but does anyone recognise this rose which appeared in my cousins garden at the weekend.  She doesn’t remember planting it and hasn’t see it before.  She’s been in the house 10 years!   It was half buried behind a buddleia.  She says it has hardly any thorns and just a light fragrance.  Sorry to be a bit vague.    Thanks in advance!  

• AllyblueeyesAllyblueeyes Posts: 235
    @Marlorena. Do you have any ideas? 🤞
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,870
    Is it close to a fence? If so it could be a sucker from next door.
    Morning @Buttercupdays.  Thanks for replying.  She’s in (very) rural Wales with no neighbours or fence and nothing but fields all round her 🤷‍♀️ It’s a bit of a mystery.  You don’t recognise the type do you? 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,429
    It might have been lurking for years and not been noticed or it could have come form a passing bird and taken a few years to get to flowering size.  Now it's visible, a bit of feeding and care will encourage more flowers.

We bought this place nearly 4 years ago and set about sorting out years of neglect in the boundary hedges  and few beds.   It was only last year that we discovered a rambling Veilchenblau in the hedge by the gate.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,601
    @Allyblueeyes
    ...sorry, it isn't possible to offer any i.d on that, there isn't enough detail... so much is needed to even make a calculated guess... wide open blooms showing the stamens are an essential, and there needs to be more than one to see, also a shot of the whole bush.. even then it's very doubtful whether anyone could come up with something on that at this stage..
    ..perhaps when the rose is more mature...   I'm sorry...
    Obelixx said:
    It might have been lurking for years and not been noticed or it could have come form a passing bird and taken a few years to get to flowering size.  Now it's visible, a bit of feeding and care will encourage more flowers.

We bought this place nearly 4 years ago and set about sorting out years of neglect in the boundary hedges  and few beds.   It was only last year that we discovered a rambling Veilchenblau in the hedge by the gate.

Good morning @Obelixx. Thanks for this.  Isn’t it lovely when this happens?  I have a lot of ivy round a rose arch which the sparrows nest in and only the other day, I spotted a clematis I’d forgotten about!!  Just need someone to come up with a name for the Rose now.  I’ll tell my cousin to give it a good feed.  Thanks again! 
    Marlorena said:
    @Allyblueeyes
    ...sorry, it isn't possible to offer any i.d on that, there isn't enough detail... so much is needed to even make a calculated guess... wide open blooms showing the stamens are an essential, and there needs to be more than one to see, also a shot of the whole bush.. even then it's very doubtful whether anyone could come up with something on that at this stage..
    ..perhaps when the rose is more mature...   I'm sorry...
    No apologies needed.  I thought as much @Marlorena. Thank you anyway.  As @obelixx says, I’ll suggest she gives it a feed and let’s see what happens.  Maybe 🤞 it grows so we can get a better picture.  Thanks everyone for replying!