Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mealworms

Does anyone soak their mealworms overnight? I normally just put mine out dried for birds but read on RSPB site to soak them.

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 500
    I don't, and mine are always gone within 24 hours no matter how many I put out or in what kind of feeder.
  • pyra88pyra88 Central Scotland Posts: 80
    I don't. And they go within hours. 
  • CamelliadCamelliad Posts: 124
    edited 29 June
    Yes I soak mine. As I understood it, it was particularly important in the hot weather, to help birds feeding their young with the meal worms increase their water intake. I don't soak them overnight though - just for half an hour or so.
  • pugslovesunpugslovesun Posts: 225
    Ah yes thats why i thought it was advised, will do that on hot days from now on. Thanks everyone.
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose Posts: 193
    Never heard of soaking them before. I just tip mine into the bird feeder and within minutes they all all gone.

Makes sense with the dry weather. They are very dry. 
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 500
    Camelliad said:
    Yes I soak mine. As I understood it, it was particularly important in the hot weather, to help birds feeding their young with the meal worms increase their water intake. I don't soak them overnight though - just for half an hour or so.
    Interesting, I will give this a try then
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,149
    Bird parents aren't equipped to carry water, so the only water the nestlings get is in their food.  It helps the parents if you offer insects, because nestlings can't digest seeds.  They haven't yet acquired the grit in their crops which grinds them up.  I don't serve up mealworms all year round, they're too expensive, but I always provide them in spring and summer.
  • pugslovesunpugslovesun Posts: 225
    Very helpful thanks, yes I'm being eaten out of house and home but worth it as have lots of birds, but will adjust timings of different foods. Had a greenfinch and woodpecker which I've never had before. Unfortunately been invaded by big black birds crows or ravens?
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,870
    @pugslovesun - listen to your big black birds. Crows say 'caw' and ravens say 'cronk'. We get both, but I prefer the ravens as they are overall less noisy and I feel a better class of bird ;), but they are as bad as each other from smaller birds' point of view.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,008
    Don't forget rooks too - very distinctive.  :)
    I love ravens. We get them on the hills, and they're such impressive birds. I think people underestimate how big they are too. 
    I soak mealworms too, just for a little while,  unless it's peeing with rain, which it often is, and they're well dampened by the time the birds appear.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....